Monday, April 2, 2012

Make Sure You Know Your Coupon Policies: A Must Read

This post is long but worth the read.  If you personally know me you will probably be chuckling by the time you finish reading this.

I visited Rite-Aid tonight to use the $7 Allegra coupon from yesterday's SmartSource.  Rite-Aid sells the 5 count Allegra for $6.99 which would make it free with the coupon.  I had visited another Rite-Aid store previously today but did purchase other items. ( My Allegra actually rang up for $6.29 since I qualify for 10% off with my Rewards status.)  The full $7 coupon came off my total on my earlier visit today.

Well, tonight's visit I only purchased the Allegra (I truly think I really just wanted to test the cashier's knowledge of their coupon policy which states):

In the event that any item’s selling price is less than the value of the coupon, Rite Aid will accept the coupon in exchange for the selling price of the item. Coupon redemption can never exceed the selling price of an item and no cash back is allowed.

The cashier rang up the Allegra for $6.29 then scanned the coupon.  The register told her "Coupon exceeds the amount of the item" and she proceeded to hand me back the coupon and tell me that I can save it for another time since it was for more than the item I was buying.  BIG MISTAKE!!!  I proceeded to tell her "No, I can use that now and get that item for free.  I have your coupon policy out in my car if you would like me to go and get it".  (Yes, I said this very pleasantly.)  She tried again to scan it and told  me again what the register was telling her.......I persisted.  She called a manager over and told her what the register was saying.  I did not even give the manager a chance to deny me, rather in a pleasant tone of voice, I told her "I am not looking to get money back but your coupon policy states that if the amount of the coupon exceeds the amount of the item, I get the item for free and I have the policy out in my car if you would like me to get it."  That manager said not one single word to me, she overrode my coupon, put my Allegra in the bag with my receipt and handed me my bag.  No thank you, no good night, nothing, not a word.  I, of course, gave her a great big smile and "Thank you" as I walked out the door.

Stand your ground when it comes to couponing.  Know your coupon policies.  Most employees and managers in these stores don't even know their own policies. 

You can find most of the local store's policies on this blog.  Just click on the tab "Coupon Policies" at the top of the page.


No comments:

Post a Comment